Monday, May 02, 2011

Tomatoes: Reloaded



That's right everyone, we're back, and tomatoer than ever. Actually, that's not true. My patio-gardening plans are much more modest this year, as evidence by the fact that I didn't start any seedlings at all. I wasn't actually sure that I was going to grow any heirlooms, but my coworker Jenn, who I had given some of my extra seedlings to last year, had had such great success with them that she has become a total convert to the heirloom tomato, and started some of her own this spring. And this time she was the one with the extra seedlings, and I was the recipient.

It's like the circle of life, only with fewer baboons holding up lion cubs, and more tomatoes.

So now I have five little tomato plants which, true to form, I have planted much too close together, because I don't have that much space. I'm trying to get them as much sun as possible on our shady balcony, and only time will tell if they are to become sturdy, fruit-producing machines or sad, wilty mold victims.

Fortunately, for their sake at least, none of them are upside-down. I'm sure they're grateful.

4 comments:

Tara Tyler said...

good for you - hope they produce!

Anonymous said...

Perhaps the tomatoes will produce more if they're hoisted by baboons.

--mary

Daisy Bateman said...

Tara: Thanks! Me too.

Mary: You know, that might just be my problem. I wonder where you get a garden baboon?

Cornelia Read said...

"It's like the circle of life, only with fewer baboons holding up lion cubs, and more tomatoes."

My idea of a perfect sentence...

Oh, Daisy, how do I love thee? Let me count the baboons...