Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Ridiculous Expenditures

I've been preparing for this trip in the way I prepare for (or recover from) pretty much anything: by shopping. For the most part it's nothing too exciting- some warm-weather clothing, an expandable bag for things I pick up on the way. And then I bought a swimsuit. Well, you say, that doesn't sound too extravagent; you are going to places with water. Ah, I tell you, that's what you think. You see, swimsuits have become expensive. I'm not sure why, they just are. Like, a hundred dollars apiece expensive.
Anyway, like any sane woman, I hate trying on bathing suits, and it's been at least four years since I bought one. So it was that when I found one that actually didn't make me hate myself (a two-piece!) (okay, a tankini), I went a bit crazy. I bought the top, both bottoms (one with a skirt attatched, one without) and the matching wrap, for a grand total expenditure of a bit over two hundred dollars(!). I should point out that my mom, who was abetting, advised against the skirt bottom, pointing out that skirts are hard to swim in, but at that point I wasn't listening. I figured that it might come in handy for days of self-esteem fluctuation. (I should also point out that she brought me a bikini to try on, but I didn't get it. Maybe another ten pounds from now.)
So that was the first thing. Okay, you say, so that's a little over the top, but at least it was something you needed. Nothing to beat yourself up over. After you say this, I will just laugh. You thought that was it?
If you are reading this, you probably know me. And if you know me, you know that I'm something of an A's fan. So I was kind of dissappointed to be missing the first month of the season- not enough to miss the trip, but still. Then people started talking about satellite radio, and I started thinking. It just so happens that XM will be broadcasting all MLB games this season. Plus there's lots of cool music. Plus I kind of wanted one anyway. So I bought a satellite radio. And a year of service. I mean, what the hell, right? I just spent two hundred dollars on a swimsuit didn't I?
This would be so much less funny if I had a job.

No comments: