Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Winesday: Long Weekend Wine



Newsome-Harlow Zinfandel

I swear, there are times when we go on trips that don't have anything to do with drinking wine. I mean, I can't think of any right now, but there must be some*. Anyway, we're at it again, heading back up to Murphy's where we've rented a cottage for a weekend of tasting, drinking, hanging out and reading**. Which means that a) there will be no shoefinder post this week, because I'm not sure if there is going to be internet at the rental cabin, and anyway, that's not a vacation activity, and b)you are going to be hearing a lot about the wines of the Sierra Foothills in the coming Wednesdays. And by "a lot" I mean, "occasional digressions when I remember something I wanted to write about, plus references to chalk."

This wine was one of our finds from our last trip, and possibly my favorite mid-price-range zin so far. I failed to take notes while drinking it,*** and the only thing I can remember commenting on at the time was a hint of caramel, though I'm fairly sure there were other things going on too, like grapes and alcohol.

On reflection, that would seem to be a wholly inadequate way to blog about a very fine wine. I guess I'm just going to have to try some more and get back to you.


*Wait, I just thought of one: Tokyo. Also, the wine on the cruise was not that good and silly expensive, so I mostly stuck to Harvey Wallbangers.
**I'm bringing at least five books. I don't expect to read all of them, but you never know what you're going to be in the mood for, and I like to be prepared.
***I'm starting to suspect I'm not really cut out for this wine-blogging thing.

No comments: