Thursday, February 23, 2012

Isn't That Pinteresting?

Fans of pointless social networking activities and terrible puns will be thrilled to learn that I have started using Pinterest, the very latest social media fad to mince down the pike. I don't fully get it*, and there are plenty of things that are annoying**, but I'm finding it handy for collecting items to be used in future blog posts. This one has things I'm finding for the next ugly clothes post, with drafts of potential jokes, if you're interested. There are probably other things I ought to be doing with the site, to drive up my social networking profile or whatever, but I can't really be bothered to figure them out.

I guess I'm just not that pinvested.


*I'm starting to suspect that I may, in fact, be old.
**Like the "apply for an invitation" signup and the fact that they randomly have you follow a bunch of people without asking.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Recently, I've been using Pinterest to gather ideas for The Kid's first birthday party, which is good, because I have no idea how the hell to plan a first birthday party. I also get good recipes, and have a place to remind myself about books I want to read, music I want to listen to, and crafts I want to do at the touch of a button. And I like looking at pretty things. :)

The most amazing thing that's come out of Pinterest for me, though, is that a blogger I really like (with whom I have no sort of relationship) randomly found my blog and pinned one of my posts, leading to my highest readership ever. Pretty cool.

Cameron said...

The Slate DoubleX gabfest had an interesting discussion about Pinterest in their third discussion topic a week or so ago. Beware that Jessica Grose's way of speaking is not to everyone's tastes :).

http://www.slate.com/articles/podcasts/doublex_gabfest/2012/02/the_susan_g_komen_planned_parenthood_kerfuffle_bringing_up_b_b_and_pinterest_on_this_week_s_doublex_gabfest.html