Thursday, February 21, 2008

Tempura Thursday: Now With 85% More Thursday




Sushi Sam's Edomata
218 E. 3rd Ave.


I will admit, I came in with some preconceptions to this one, having come across some reviews on the web that touted it as the great place in San Mateo for sushi. So I was expecting good things and high prices, and for the most part I was not disappointed. Actually, in terms of price it wasn't that bad-- about the same as last week, in fact. The place was bright and busy, with a mix of customers and quick service.


Food: $18.95 for the tempura and sashimi combo dinner. For the second time in the increasingly misguided project, I had tempura that I would actually characterize as "good". Lightly battered, and still crisp when I got to the end; even the broccoli was eatable. I actually finished everything but the carrot because, let's face it, even battered and fried, a carrot is still just a carrot. One point lost versus the early leader (and still champion!) Oidon, due to a less interesting selection of ingredients, but overall a truly decent dish. I added back the point to the overall score because the sashimi was quite good-- tekka only, but very fresh, and no connective tissue. The rolls I saw going by looked really good too.


Tempura: 7/10
Overall: 8/10

No comments: