Sunday, May 27, 2007

Gonna Keep Updating on the Trip Until It's Updated, Dammit

On Saturday the rain eased up into an intermittent drizzle, enough that I wanted my umbrella, but not so much that I actually needed it. I had breakfast with some of my fellow, heretofore unseen, guests at the inn, including a couple of ladies who had come over from England for the weekend. Apparently, you can do that. Seems like a long way to go to sit around in the rain.

My plan for Saturday was basically the same as Friday night, only drier: walk down the main street and look at the shops. As plans go, it was pretty solid. Provincetown turned out to have a good mix of shops, some standard beachy-tourist-crap places (selling t-shirts that indicate you have been to this place, t-shirts that indicate you have a very rudimentary sense of humor, unattractive items made out of shells) (honestly, have you ever met anyone whose decor really suffered from a lack of shell-owls with googly eyes?), a number of surprisingly avant-garde galleries, several cool boutiques (my main focus), all the salt-water taffy your dental surgeon could possibly want and the occasional bondage-gear shop, just to make sure you're awake. There also just happened to be a new Marc by Marc Jacobs store (the CEO has a house in Provincetown) but, naturally, I didn't pay much attention to that.

Okay, I'm lying. But you knew that. Actually, it was kind of "Marc Jacobs does cheap tourist crap", by which I mean the t-shirts were specific to that store (some were fundraisers for various loocal charities) and twenty dollars, to go with the $200 dresses and $300 shoes. I bought two t-shirts and a tote bag, and I know it wasn't just a clever knockoff emporium because they had me on file from when I bought The Purse. Later in the afternoon, I wandered into a jewelry store, just poking around, and the ladies working there were very interested in what I got and even the bag they put it in. They were pretty pleased with the "P-Town" on the labels. I felt kind of bad that I didn't actually want any of their jewelry, but they didn't seem to mind.

No comments: