Saturday, July 03, 2010

Songs of Summer

Well, we've had the sliding door open, and the cat has spent most of the day lying on his side in cool spots, so I am forced to conclude that it must be summer. And where you have summer, you have summer music, those annual songs played on infinite repeat on your local pop station for three months and then never heard again. This year is no different, well-populated with terrible, terrible songs-- I would rather gouge my eardrums out with a popsicle stick than to have to listen to "My First Kiss," "Billionaire," or (urg) "California Gurls" again. But there is hope, good music out there, some of which has hit potential. Therefore, here are my choices for songs of the summer that do not suck.


Michael Franti, "Shake It"



Fun, bouncy goodness.


B.o.B. feat. Hayley Williams, "Airplanes"



Already a hit, the only major summer song so far that doesn't make me crazy when it gets stuck in my head.


Taio Cruz, "Break Your Heart"



Actually made the charts a while ago, but I think it has the staying power to carry through August.


Clay Walker, "She Won't Be Lonely Long"



The first time I heard this on my country station, I thought it had been around for years. That's a compliment.


Adam Lambert, "If I Had You"



I'll admit, I was not Team Glambert during his Idol run. But this is just pure, catchy dance-pop fun, and the sooner it drives Ke$ha et al off the charts, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd add "OMG" by Usher and "Alejando" by Lady Gaga to the "popsicle in the ear" category. The first time I heard both songs, I thought that the radio station was playing some sort of prank, and yet the songs won't. go. away.

I must admit that I do like "California Gurls". But then again, I have a soft spot for Snoop raps (and questionable music taste). I fully concur with the rest of your picks and snubs.

--mary (clearly)