Friday, July 02, 2010

Shoefinder: Wish I May, Wish I Might

This week's Shoefinder is going to be kind of lame, and I would like to apologize for that. As you may have noticed, I've been busy and having trouble getting the posts up in time, due to travel and also being generally lame and lazy. So I didn't manage to get a Shoefinder subject lined up in time for this week's episode, leaving me with no option but to fall back on the one person I know who always wants more in the way of shoes: myself.

Specifically, I am bringing you some things that are on my wish list. (I'm a big fan of Amazon's "Universal Wish List" button.) They're ones I haven't quite brought myself to buy yet.



These actually made it onto the list twice; I came across them the other day and added them, only to discover, when I scrolled down, that they were already there. They're still available in my size, but the one thing Zappos is not so great at is competitive pricing, and I keep holding out for a better sale. But they really are cute, and hey, I don't have any white flats.


By contrast, these boots just popped up the other day on the Lucky magazine blog, and I wishlisted them less with the intent to buy than just to keep an eye on them. I like the texture and the chunky heel, though I'd have to try them on before I was sure about that seam across the front. But these are really more an "inspiration" item than a "to buy," because, while I like them, I do not three hundred and forty-five dollars like them.


Speaking of boots, I've been wanting a pair in this style for a while now, and I have to admit that, price-wise, they seem like they're a good option. (Better, in that way, than these, which aren't available in my size anyway.) But the product reviews have me concerned about the quality, and I feel like I could stand to hold out for a sale.



Holding out for a sale is something I do a lot, sometimes to my benefit, sometimes not. For example, these sandals. I knew upon seeing them that they would make great go-to comfy summer wedges, which I would probably wear to destruction just like I've done to my last three pairs of comfy summer wedges. But ninety dollars seems a little steep, and I know Sperry does good sales, so I've been trying to wait it out. The problem with this strategy, however, is that summer sandals are the sort of thing you want to have around during the summer, and I don't know if you've noticed, but it seems to be July.

On the other hand, I have no such rush with these guys because, barring meteorological craziness, we shouldn't be seeing any serious amounts of rain until Novemberish, because this is a civilized place.


And these? These are my secret shame.

I have no business liking Tory Burch. I don't want to like Tory Burch. It is a line (ostensibly) designed by a New York socialite for other New York socialites and she (or her actual designers, or more likely her marketing team) are big into logos. I mean, really big. (Seriously, at that point, why not just go ahead and leave the price tag on?) But lately, to my horror, I have been finding myself drawn to her stuff-- like I'll be looking at something and thinking to myself, hey that's really cute, and then I'll look at the designer and it will be Tory Burch. This has been happening a lot. So, when I was in New York, I finally gave in, went to the boutique and ended up coming out with a really awesome leather jacket (no logos). And now that I have accepted that this is who I am, I find myself looking at more of her stuff and liking it, and the shame is slipping away.

These sandals, I will admit, do have a logo, but it's a small one. And despite the thong they look fairly comfortable. In fact, the main thing that's keeping me from buying them is that I saw them elsewhere at a greater discount, but couldn't pull the trigger before my size sold out, and now I'm reluctant to pay more for them. That, and everything I just said.


And finally, at the other end of the brand-concern spectrum, we have these. I've written about them before and actually, the only reason I haven't bought them yet is I just haven't gotten around to it. Which I can see I am going to have to do soon, because I could only find one website that had them in my size in "berry," which is obviously the color to go for here.

If you'll excuse me, I think I have some business to take care of.

No comments: