Thursday, November 10, 2011

Recipes For the Lazy and Incompetent: Sausage with Cabbage and Chard

New feature! Why should competent cooks be the only ones who share their recipes? I have the culinary abilities of a drunk five-year-old who somehow got into the kitchen knives, and the way I figure it, if I can manage to prepare a dish on a regular basis, then anyone should be able to do it. (Fair warning: My devotion to prepared ingredients makes Sandra Lee look like Alice Waters. But what I lack in authenticity, I make up for in pictures.)

So, Sausage with Cabbage and Chard

First, you'll need some sausages. (Chicken-apple in this case.)

Also, some cabbage, chopped smallish.

That's not a knife.

This is a knife.




Use your handy steaming device to steam the cabbage in the microwave for about 6 minutes.

While that is happening, slice and brown the sausage.

And chop up the chard.
Put all of the above in the pan with the sausage. Repeat mantra: "It will cook down."
Because it will.
Add Trader Joe's Soyaki marinade, or equivalent.
Cook some more, stirring when it seems appropriate.
Serve with brown rice, accept no complaints.

4 comments:

Karen Murphy said...

Must be the weather. We had (fake) sausage with peppers, onions, and spinach last night.

Cornelia Read said...

Wintry food... made this the other night, with zest and juice of one lemon thrown in and substituting SMOKED Hungarian paprika (like, a tablespoon. Why mess around?):

http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Pork-And-Sauerkraut-Goulash-Recipezaar

Fucking ROCKED. Especially with homemade fresh-dill spaetzle, which wasn't too hard to make (check Youtube for directions, I'd never made it before and it was pretty great.)

Cornelia Read said...

Also, veal stock.

Am thinking of trying this with venison instead of pork next time.

It seems weird with the sauerkraut and everything, but you soak it first so it's not overwhelming, and it adds a great depth and richness to the whole shebang.

Daisy Bateman said...

Karen-- What can I say? I'm a trendsetter. Peppers sound like a good idea.

Cornelia-- That sounds awesome. Love the veal stock & smoked paprika ideas. Though if you think I can manage to make fresh, homemade spaetzle, you have way more faith in my abilities than I do. I almost hurt myself trying to spell it.

Okay, now I'm hungry again.